I’ve been arguing for several months now that Trump’s popular uprising has been based solely on a broad public distaste for lies by Barack Obama and the Democrat Party. In addition, there is the shameless dishonesty implicit in the last 30 years of PC, political correctness. ('People of color' is OK but 'colored people' is racist.)
I don’t want to interrupt your reading flow with a list of the horrific and unique lies of the past 7 years. That abbreviated list is at the end of this blog.
The political world is very ancient. When an Arab tribal leader sits in his tent listening to petitioners asking for special favors and judgement in disputes he is using time honored politics. He must weigh multiple forces acting upon him from within his tribe and outside the tribe. He must then find an accommodation that will be the most stable outcome he can produce.
I was in active politics for many decades and I do appreciate the skill and talents that make a good politician. There are a few good politicians. Very few. Politics does require honesty within the closed circle of the participants and an honest broker is truly valuable. But dealing with the public requires the skill to make a statement that doesn’t destabilize the political accommodation without outright dishonesty. Obama was never a competent politician, much less a barely functional one. He could never negotiate with the opposition; a core skill of a politician.
Most of the public doesn’t like compromise and accommodation. Politics is not appreciated or valued. Over time as the civic clubs (Lions, Rotary, Odd Fellows, Masons) have declined so has organizational experience with politics disappeared from American society.
At the same time, slowly, more Americans have become part of the commercial world. The commercial world values honesty, openness and cooperation at the highest level of those values. If you ask most Americans working in the commercial world they would be unable to verbalize this reality because the false overlying ideology is so strong. But anyone who lies to fellow employees will be fired, any consultant supplier or adviser who lies will be terminated. Everyone cooperates in the commercial environment. Suppliers must be helpful and cooperative to maintain their relationships, so must managers with staff and departments with other departments. Politics exists within businesses but it is secondary to openness, honesty and cooperation. Imagine a business where coworkers, accountants, suppliers and outside consultants lied. The business would fail quickly.
It is my contention, that slowly over the past century, as more people live in the commercial world and absorb those values, they reject politics more and more. They reject open dishonesty.
That is why a businessman, who is notorious for blatant candor, and is outsider to the political world is the head of an anti-politics uprising.
Donald Trump is riding a slowly rising tide of Americans who spend their lives in the commercial world and have become intolerant of the political world and the blatant lies of Obama and the Democrats.
Here is my brief list of Obama’s worst lies:
- You won’t have to change your doctors under Obamacare.
- There is no political corruption in the IRS.
- The Islamic State has nothing to do with Islam.
- The Fast and Furious campaign of guns to Mexican cartels was started in the Bush years. (No.)
- The murder of our Libyan Ambassador in Benghazi was caused by an Internet video.
- The Republicans in Congress are the reason my many budgets and policies have not been enacted. (Obama would never negotiate.)
- The Citizens United court case gives foreigners the power to significantly interfere in the American political process. (Completely untrue.)
- I have supported programs to increase oil and gas production in the U.S.
- The greatest global threat to the United States is man made global warming.
- Trayvon Martin could have been my son. (No. The Obama’s were always middleclass, educated and politically connected).
Those are all open and deliberate lies. Americans strongly dislike that kind of deception.
The Trump movement is the confluence of pro commerce and anti-politics.